Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - 12:00
League Cup
HT Score: 
Tunbridge Wells FC

South Stand Matchday Report, Some cup competition no-one is sure about, last 16

God never intended football to be played on a Monday night, but when the last two matches have been frustratingly postponed and new signings chomping at the bit, last night’s League cup game was a welcome distraction to the start of a working week.

It’s safe to say that travelling to Dulwich midweek for the second season running is not one of our favourite journeys’s, and I am sure the local area looks a lot better in the daylight. But as no one still seems to want Fisher back in Bermondsey, we have no choice but to pitch up at the home of Dulwich Hamlet’s tidy little ground to see our hero’s in action.

After the journey from hell from London Bridge to East Dulwich, a journey usually 12 minutes but took 45 minutes due to Southern trains inability to keep their signals working properly, and their gold tops (ticket inspectors) lack of English, I rocked up along with the rest of the away contingent and got out first look at Digger and Booth in the warm up.

The capture of Jamie ‘Digger’ Lawrence from Erith and Belvedere and Paul Booth from Folkestone sends a loud massive message to our rivals. The fact that Paul is almost old enough to join the choir, does not mean he will not have a massive contribution to make during his time with us, in fact he is probably fitter than all of us put together, but I cant see any other team boasting the attacking potential we now have.

The team set up was slightly unusual with Franco and The Wizard in defence along with the impressive Roooaarryyy and Boyley, not our usual back four, but still impressive on paper and the kind of defence Prince Andrew could do with right now. With Lawrence in goal celebrating what must be his 12th birthday and a midfield of Digger, Fuller, Powell and Jack and inform strikers Cass and Seenan up front, we were noisily optimistic of reaching the last 8.

Fisher are a quick and powerful team, but with very little direction as their warm up shots proved and the Wells took control of the game from the start, Fuller surprisingly seemed to be everywhere again (I think he needs a song!) and most of the Wells attack came from Powell on the right hand side. But the first real chance fell to Seenan who found himself free on the edge of the area, but he hit his left foot volley straight at the goalkeeper.

It was not long though before the Wells got their deserved goal, when after 29 minutes the Fisher keeper tried to do a little dance past Seenan, who poked the ball away from him and into an empty net..cue a small jostle and a few ‘Ha ha’s” from the faithful.

The Wells continued to dominate for the rest of the half with Fuller and Digger getting stuck in, Quincy the Ref obviously didn’t get many Christmas cards from teams this year, but that doesn’t stop him dishing our his own cards on regular occurrence. None more deserved than Fisher’s rubber Mike Tyson No 11, who after getting tackled for the umpteenth time by Rooaarryyy proceeded in trying to punch him but only a yellow was produced. Only luck and the run of the ball stopped the Wells putting this tie to bed by half time.

The game opened up in the second half, with more chances and more banter between the Faithfull and the Fisher skipper, frankly that was all he was good at on the night. Fisher went close on a couple of occasions but the cars in the car park we in more danger of being hit than the back of the Wells net.

Around the hour mark Paul Booth was sent on in place of Cass and immediately nearly scored with his first touch, but his close header was straight at “Flatterly “in goal.

It was not long though before he was on the score sheet when the Wells were awarded a blatant penalty and Booth stepped up and planted his shot in the bottom right corner.

After the second goal the wells sat back a bit and Fisher came into the game more and created some chances but the Wells kept the game under control and on the 90th minute Booth was sent through on goal and rounded the keeper and showed his class by rolling the ball across the goal to Tolley, who finished off the night. Fisher got a consolation goal at the end through Ferrero Roche but it was too little too late.

An impressive team performance away from home, and with Booth and Digger impressing on their debut, we can look forward to the tricky away trip to Deal and then onto you know what on the 17th with confidence !!!