Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 15:00
HT Score: 
Tunbridge Wells FC
Perry Spackman

Christmas came early for the Wells and it was Beckenham who were to play Santa handing out a gift of 3 pts

The Wells were unchanged from the starting XI that put Rochester to the sword the previous weekend. The impressive Rory Head continuing at right back. And the formidable front pairing of Cass and Seenan. The only other notable change was that the captains arm band now adorned the King of Shildon.

The Wells started brightly and settled a lot quicker into the game than their hosts playing some delightful quick passing football and looked by far the more comfortable on the ball of the two teams. The attacking crosses of Danny and Jack on either side seemed to trouble the somewhat dubious handling of the Beckenham number 1 Anibaba.

With the choir depleted with Christmas relative visiting and some last minute panic buys. Those that did make the journey into Sarf Landon were to witness another league game with yet more strange officiating. The first peculiar decision came when 10mins in whilst chasing down a ball a Beckenham player took it upon himself to kick through Seenan to get to the ball which left the Scot writhing in agony. However the referee deemed it a fair challenge and awarded Beckenham a free kick for good measure.

Shortly after Becks mustered a rare attack on the Wells back line and when Beckenham’s Ray Freeman was given too much time outside of the area he fizzed a long range effort past Steve, who's first real involvement in the game was to pick the ball out of his net.

Eden Park Avenue is one of the better playing surfaces in the league and would not look out of place further up the football pyramid. It was however causing numerous players to slip and lose their footing as it cut up. A bizarre "Time Out" was called so that the Beckenham stopper could change his boots helping to prevent the bambi on ice display he'd been treating the away support to.

With the extra 1 minute of injury time played that was added on to the half with all the stoppages the half ended with the hosts 1-0 up.

With the midfield pairing of Franco and Wizard seeing the Wells dominate proceedings in the middle of the Park with their cool and calm possession passing the Wells pressure finally paid off when Danny crossed another dangerous ball into the box that saw the Beckenham spiller come racing out of his goal mouth again looking to punch the danger away and completely missing the ball and making contact with Perry instead which resulted in a penalty for the Wells. Brendon stepped up and rifled his spot kick straight down the middle leaving Spiller with no chance.
Buoyed by their equaliser the Wells took charge of the game with their slick passing football paying dividends again in the 67th min when Jack crossed into the box and found an unmarked Seenan at the back post that steered his header into the Becks net and give the Wells a deserved lead.

With the Hosts reduced to speculative counter attacks, the visiting support had to wait just 6mins to witness Another Christmas Present from Seenan when he was found by strike partner Brendon and after what seemed like an eternity slotted the ball into the Becks net and continue his impressive scoring ratio.

With a minute plus injury time remaining the wizard received the ball in centre midfield but slipped on the soft playing surface which resulted in Beckenham stealing possession and breaking which resulted in Jamie Humphreys finding the net and give the hosts a glimmer of hope that they might be able to nick a draw, but that proved fruitless as the wells played out to the final whistle and deservedly took the 3 pts.

This was a fantastic team effort in a game where the score line flattered the hosts.

Wells supporters can look forward to some entertaining attacking football from their team over the festive period starting when they host Sevenoaks on Saturday

Att 142