Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 15:00
Culverden Stadium
Tunbridge Wells FC
HT Score: 

With the excitement of the Fa Vase on the back burner until the New Year, league priorities took over at Culverden stadium on a beautifully fresh sunny winter’s afternoon. Previous Vase opponents Rochester United were the welcomed visitors to the royal town, having played them twice already this season winning on both occasion (League away Wells won 2-1 and FA Vase 2nd rnd proper Wells won 2-0).

With suspensions and injuries playing havoc the starting line-up was much changed from that of the one that battled so well away to Portchester the previous weekend that saw the Wells progress through to the last 32 of the competition.

With Perry and Joe suspended and Captain Fantastic out with an ankle knock a debut was handed to new signing Rory Head. Tom Bryant slotted in to CB with our newest hero Brad Potter and Radders filling in at left back.

A mouth-watering front pairing of Cass and Seenan meant the south stand were expecting a goal fest similar to the one we were treated to when we played the visitors last season and dished out a 8-0 thumping. Those expectations looked to be coming to fruition when after some excellent battling and hold up play from McSeenan he unselfishly squared to Brendon who obliged by burying it into the Rochester net and send the home fans and their colourful Xmas jumpers into frenzy.

The half progressed with the Wells in control and with 3 mins of the first half remaining crowd favourite Seenan found the net from a Franco corner and his glancing header left the Rochester keeper with little chance but to pick the ball out of the net again and with it increase the wells dominance of the game.

Half time saw the Culverden faithful enjoy a drink courtesy of generous Chairman Clive which sent the choir back in for the 2nd half ready to get louder.

14 mins into the 2nd half The 228 strong crowd were treated to another Xmas present when A Through ball from Jack Goldsmith saw Seenan run onto it, cut across the hapless Rochester defender and finish with a left footed drive through goalkeepers legs.

There was enough time in the half for Rochester to be reduced to 10 when their player saw red for a 2nd bookable offence.

The Wells were also reduced to 10 when having already used 3 substitutions, Tommy Bryant limped off with a hamstring strain towards the very end of the half.

With potential Man of the match performances coming from all over the pitch and results elsewhere in the league proving to be encouraging the Wells sit happily in 3rd position ready for what should prove to be a very interesting 2nd half of the season.

Next up the Wells visit Beckenham Saturday.