Erith Town

Saturday, October 4, 2014 - 15:00
Culverden Stadium
Tunbridge Wells FC
HT Score: 
Erith Town

A wet and soggy Saturday afternoon at the Culverden would be the venue for the Wells faithful to be able to pay homage to captain, leader and all round top lad Jason Bourne on his record breaking 412th appearance for the club. It also coincided with the Visit of Erith Town who much like the Wells had seen wholesale changes to the playing staff from that of last season.

Buoyed from the winning display against Beckenham the previous weekend and that the visitors had had a difficult start to the campaign and were 2nd bottom, a comfortable, if not damp, afternoon was expected by the south stand faithfull.

The Game burst into life mid-way through the first half when Michal, deputising for the injured Steve, pulled off a tremendous double save worthy of the Premiership let alone the SCEFL to keep the scores level. The 39th minute saw the South Stand finally rewarded for their sodden perseverance when Curtis was the last to get a touch on a goal mouth scramble and The Wells went into half time 1-0 up and looked to be cruising to another 3pts. The thought of adding to a so far disappointing goal difference looked to be turning into reality when within 4mins of the restart a Jake cross found Joe Fuller at the near post and guided his header effortlessly into the back of the Erith net to double the lead of the Wells.

On a day that was supposed to be all about celebrating the Wells captain and right back, one man on the pitch decided to tear up the script. The Erith number10 Remone McCrea, with confidence and ability, seized the initiative for his side when the Wells failed to close him down quick enough and a long range effort beat Michal and found the top corner. With the game finely balanced Danny Powell, who had looked the most
dangerous going forward, made way for debutant Dane Luchford who quickly impressed going around 2 Erith defenders but was unable to find a red shirt to capitalise on his good work.

A rash challenge just inside the Wells area at the other end of the pitch left the referee with little choice but to award the visitors a penalty and whilst Michal made a superb save his team mates were slow to react to the rebound and Erith equalised. With Erith now on the front foot a dubious looking corner was awarded and met with an unchallenged header to give them a deserved lead.

With the Wells Clearly deflated the visitors took the opportunity to rub salt in the wound when in the last minute Remone was again allowed to run, unchallenged or closed down, half the length of the pitch and side foot it into the back of the Wells net and give the visitors a deserved 3 pts.

The Wells travel to 15th placed Croydon Saturday.

Att 241

Wells Goal scorers: George 39, Fuller 49.

Man of the Match Jason Bourne