2014-07-26 13:00:00

Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 15:00
Culverden Stadium
Tunbridge Wells FC
HT Score: 
Folkestone Invicta

(For those of you unfortunate enough to have an iphone - number 10 was Matt Parsons!!! We have a glitch that isn't showing the number 10. Apologies.)

In the absence of regular first team captain Jason Bourne, Jake Beecroft led the line for the first time on a sunny afternoon at the Culverden as the Wells looked to build on their 2-1 victory over Crowborough. Folkestone Invicta play in the Ryman South Division, two leagues above the Wells, so the home players knew they had a tough game on their hands.

The first chance of the game fell to George Benner, who could not put his header on target and he saw it sail over the bar. But It only took 11 minutes to open the scoring, when Ian Draycott of Folkestone produced a clinical finish past a stunned Lawrence to give him his fifth goal in just four games, after being put through by a cutting ball. Aaron Lacey’s long throw-ins could not trouble Folkestone ‘keeper Tim Roberts, who made some excellent saves throughout the match and showed great handling.

Lee Radford won a free-kick on the edge of the box in the 17th minute, but Nick Davis could not control his header and it crept past the post. The Wells created a stunning chance on the 22nd minute, with some lovely one touch football, but the resulting cross was way out of reach for Matt Parsons whose attempt to head the ball failed miserably. Some great build up play from Invicta went unrewarded when Ian Draycott’s sizzling run was overshadowed a poor shot past the post in the 30th minute. Tunbridge Wells continuously attempted to slow play down, but they were fiercely contested by a lively Folkestone side. It was a poor opening half from Tunbridge Wells, as they played in front of some agitated fans.

There was a very bright start to the second half however, when a series of Tunbridge Wells shots, were cleared of the line in the 47th minute. Aaron Lacey continued to impress throughout the match and created promising chances whenever he received the ball. Another fan favourite Nick Barnes did not produce the quality that was expected of him, in a very challenging match for the Wells. Second half substitute Perry Spackman could have easily been booked for a strong elbow in the ribs on Folkestone’s Paul Booth, and Tunbridge Wells had a very controversial penalty decision turned down after the Folkestone ‘keeper took down Dan Powell in the box.

A sweltering July afternoon and a strong Folkestone side proved too much for the Wells as the match finished, Tunbridge Wells 0-1 Folkestone Invicta.

Sam Fuller

11 mins